Friday, November 30, 2007

Asian Entertainment Review: Khalil, Raymond, Justin

I feel totally exhausted for some reason, so I decided to give myself a break while I sit here listening to my new cds.

Khalil Fong's This Love Live album was amazing as usual. He has this very unique voice that totally suits the soul/R&B genre. According to my brother, he sounds like an asian version of Jason Mraz. I hope to see more new songs from him soon. I've heard a lot of the songs on this album before but it was different to hear them "live". My favourites are still "Goodbye Melody Rose", "詩人的情人" and my all time favourite: "南音". His renditions of classics such as "Signed Sealed Delivered" were also great!



Raymond Lam's debut is not that bad. I was a little worried at first because all I've ever heard him sing were themes of tv shows, but the songs are pretty good. The only problem I have is that there isn't much variation in terms of the style of his songs. He managed to try a more upbeat/more hiphop sounding tune for Track 5 though. I hope to see more of that since he needs more upbeat songs to enable him to show off his dancing talent :) After listening to the whole album I still like the Drive of Life song (ie the title track) the most. Despite the fact I'm not a big fan of the series, I actually like both the main theme and subtheme of the series a lot. The last track is pretty but I really don't like the "wee-oo-wee-oo" sound in the background. I find it a little inappropriate. The packaging was very cool, nice poster-lyric book hybrid, awesome photo collection; however, the cardboard cd case is not very durable. I already ripped it :( His music is not as catchy or amazing as Khalil's but he definitely deserves more attention than Ron Ng etc.

Justin's JTV is also very good. My favourites are "紅地氈", "一句" and "男人KTV". I swear "頭條新聞 " is pretty old. I heard it way back when. I'm not a big fan of intro's and outro's though. I think they're supposed to tie the album together, but they're not something I would actually enjoy listening to. Also, I don't like it when artists sing the same song in different languages/dialects, like how Stuck On U is the English version of "紅地氈" and "路人甲" is the Mandarin version of "貝殼". It's like, did they run out of melodies so they had to recycle them? I always end up liking the first version I hear more than the second(or even third) so it just doesn't help in terms of increasing the album's value for me. The outer sleeve of the album is normal looking but what's up with the ugly inner cover. Oh well, it's the music that counts right?

Since I am trying to be objective, I noticed I mentioned a lot of bad points but don't get me wrong; overall, I'm very happy with my purchases.

1 comment:

Elly said...

boo to ron ng and yay to raymond!!! lol all the cds u bought were really good in my mind, though i find i don't listen to justin as much this time around...but still a staple on my mp3 player^^