Sunday, November 25, 2007

Responsibility

One reason why I love Johnson's character (Ah Meh) so much in Welcome to the House (WTTH) is that he is such a responsible and reliable individual. Per dictionary.com, responsibility is "a form of trustworthiness; the trait of being answerable to someone for something." I personally equate responsibility with reliability and even punctuality. It's to not let others down. I truly admire those who are responsible people. In WTTH, Ah Meh is never late and can always be relied on. I don't expect everyone to be like him; however, I am sometimes just surprised at how irresponsible some people can be. It's become more of a norm to not be punctual. I confess: I am guilty if this. I recall always being early before, probably from influence by my Dad. As the years passed, however, I'm slowly neglecting to be punctual because I don't expect others to be. What a slap in the face when someone was assertive enough to remind me of its importance! And I thank this friend. Punctuality is just one aspect of being responsible. Promising to do something and not carrying out that action out is irresponsible. Making a mistake and not accepting the consequences is irresponsible. Having others wait for your response when you clearly should have given it asap is also irresponsible. Not doing your part in a team environment is irresponsible. I really wish that being responsible can be the norm and not the exception. And I will try my best from this day forward to become more responsible and to think about the consequences of my actions or my failure to act.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still feel very guilty for the last time I was late. My friend was celebrating a belated birthday with me, which, if possible, makes me feel even worse.
Responsibility pays off. It means one is trustworthy and reliable. I'm more punctual this year than I ever have been in my entire life because I'm walking the road of a senior where I have to now watch out for a lot of peope. Being late sucks, being prompt makes me feel good. And that's as good a reason as any to be on time.

Jackie