Saturday, November 24, 2007

Asian Entertainment Review: Welcome to the House

Time to take off my philosophical hat and put on my Asian hat. Welcome to the House - A sitcom revolving around the Ko family. When I watched the first few episodes, I was thinking: "What is this? This is so 無聊." I decided to stop watching despite the fact that Raymond Cho and Johnson Lee are in it. I've recently decided to give it a chance after finding out that the Drive of Life is not my cup of tea. I still have to agree that the plots are sometimes very 無聊 and pointless and some episodes are better left out, but if you're looking for something light-hearted to watch after a stressful day, this is the right series. I'd rather be watching something relaxing like WTTH than to have to suffer more stress and turmoil from watching the Drive of Life.

Johnson Lee doesn't have the looks but he's definitely got the talent. In my opinion, he has the best acting skills in the series. Some actors who used to play small parts before who I liked are actually leads now (e.g. Michael Tse, Roger Kwok, Joe Ma). Hope the same happens to him. Can't wait to see his performance tomorrow night at the TVB anniversary! Another plus is that his English is great. And I definitely can say the same about Chung King Fai. Him breaking out into his Shakespearean monologue out of nowhere was hilarious. Raymond Cho is stuck playing a greedy, selfish, vain jerk again after having a similar character in At Home with Love. Not loving it. Shermon Tang is actually not bad for a newcomer. Her character is also very likable. I really want her to end up with Johnson after the cholesterol episode but I don't think that's going to happen. Although she's only 1 year older than Annie Chung (Go B), her acting is so much better. And yes, Go B is apparently 23 years old! I seriously thought she was 16. When I saw her with Vin Choi in one episode I thought Vin was a pedophile, apparently not; they are the same age. Christine Ng has really got to stop saying "REElax" because it is not sending the right signal to those in HK who want to learn proper English. Lastly, the addition of Sharon Chan and her brother is bringing the series down. Can't wait to see Nancy Wu though. All in all, not an award winning series but definitely something to raise my spirits.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Yo! I totally didn't know 'Go B' was 23. Anyhow, some of your comments are funny. :p