Thursday, January 10, 2008

What do I want?

When someone asked me that today, I really didn't know how to answer her. Despite the context in which she asked me the question, it does apply to many things in life. I'm slightly confused right now - or perhaps not just slightly. I sometimes find I think too much about missed opportunities or regrets from the past. At other times, I would think too much about what's not good about now and what I want to strive for in the future. It's quite contradictory. What is the right way of thinking? I know I should learn to love and cherish what I have now or else I would regret once I no longer have it. At the same time, I think it's important to always strive for the better - or else I will no longer have any ambition.

Someone once told me "Do what you love and never settle for anything less." I sometimes find I have a high tolerance for things I am not really passionate about but I stay with it because:
1. Everyone feels safe with the status quo (if it's not broken, why fix it?)
2. I feel guilty for upsetting others (whether it be a boss, coworker, friend, family member, teacher). Will they understand it's not that I don't like my current situation, it's because I think there's something more I can do with my life?
3. I feel a sense of commitment to everything I do and am reluctant to move on because of responsibility. If I were selfish and more carefree, I would just be constantly doing things as my heart desires and perhaps I would be happier?

1 comment:

Kay said...

At certain points in life, we play a specific role (or several roles) and we have different responsibilities. I don't think there's a way to avoid that unless one goes and lives in a cave deep in the mountain.

I guess all we can do is try to make the best of the situation.

Remember that we're responsible for our actions and our future. No one can truly be our boss other than ourselves.

加油!