Thursday, July 17, 2008

Asian Entertainment Review: Jason Chan's Change

Here are my long delayed reviews of the two new albums to my collection. Well, or shall I say not so new anymore since I waited so long to comment on them.

Jason Chan's Change
In terms of aesthetics: the packaging is so pretty! The colour theme is very cool and calming with blues and greys. Jason has a pretty face but I'm disappointed in his cover picture. Actually, most of his pictures in this album involves him doing some weird pose. Can't we just have a normal picture of him? But at the end of the day, we shouldn't judge a cd by its cover.

In terms of the music, I'm quite happy with the songs in this album. The genres of the songs are actually quite varied. My favourite track would have to be 我來自哪顆星 - very nice beat. He should definitely do more RnB songs like this one and like 不等於 in his previous album. 理智與感情 is a nice ballad, in collaboration with Rainie Yang. There's this one part in the song where Jason got to show off the beautiful higher range of his voice. It lasted only 3 seconds but loved it! "I miss you" has a cute melody but it wore off on me after a while since the album has 3 different versions of the same song!! Along the same lines, an alternative version of 車匙 was bleh. Like I've mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of artists doing another cover of their own song and sticking it into their new cd in an attempt to pull it off as a new song. On a different note, "Moonlight Express" allows listeners to appreciate Jason's fluent English as a result of his upbringing in Canada! Canadian pride! Well even his acknowledgments and shout outs were written entirely in English (well online abbreviated English.) They let you do that for a professional cd? I couldn't even do that for my high school yearbook shout outs.

In terms of goodies, the DVD was so awesome! The making of the "I Miss You" MV was very cute. Plus, I was very impressed with Jason's singing abilities when I watched his First Christmas Live concert. He can definitely sing live unlike some other HK artists.

Ok this post was longer than I expected. I'll comment on JJ's album next time :)


你來自那顆星 - Jason Chan

No comments: